Monday 31 July 2017

Performing at Reggae Sumfest in Jamaica is a dream come true for me-- Patoranking





Saturday, July 22, would remain significant in the annals of history, not because it was the day the biggest reggae festival in the world- the Reggae Sumfest shut down Jamaica. But importantly,the day Nigerian dancehall star, Patoranking broke the record as the first African artiste to perform at the festival.
The 'My Woman, My Everything', singer took to his Instagram page to express his happiness. He said his unborn children would one day learn about his legacies as the first African artistes to perform at the reggae festival. 'My kids will be taught in school how their father was the first African artiste to perform at the biggest reggae festival in the world. If you believe it you can achieve it...I pray for my colleagues/African artistes to experience the same open doors.'
'I may never have come this far if I don't have doubting Thomas dem/haters but please don't stop doubting or hating I really need more of that. Am already in 2018 and my New video just dropped....Welcome to my World,' he wrote.
Expressing further excitement, Patoranking, who performed alongside Jamaican great reggae stars such as Alkaline, Mavado, Bounty Killer, Dexta Daps, Spice, and Tommy Lee Sparta at the historic festival, narrated how he sang 'Alubarika', the song that changed his life to over 20,000 people in Jamaica.
Sharing his excitement with Jamaican Splash, in an interview, 27-year-old, Patoranking whose real names are Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie, said 'I can't find the words to accurately express how I feel... it's a dream come true for me, a really big deal. But first and foremost, this one will go down in the history books and this is something I will tell my kids — that I was the first African artiste to perform on the Reggae Sumfest stage in Jamaica. I am so happy to be here in a country I have dreamed about so much, sharing in this vibrant culture and learning more about these beautiful people.”Patoranking couldn't wait to excite Jamaican audience with his electrifying performance.
His hit My Woman, My Everything, has truly earned him a legion of fans in Jamaica, with his recognisable dancehall flavour on top of a undeniable Afrobeat rhythm.
“I have always wanted to be the voice of the voiceless. So my music and lyrics must always say something for those who can't speak for whatever reason. With My Woman, My Everything, I strongly believe there is someone... a taximan, a bus driver and conductor, who needs the words to express himself to the woman in his life, and this is the perfect track. I have to give big respect to Wande Coal who collaborated with me on that track and provided such a great hook. For Jamaicans to know and love my track is just another amazing thing for me. I grew up on reggae and dancehall music. I knew them before I knew about hip hop. I knew of Jamaica before so many other countries in the world. So for my music to be available to Jamaicans is just another moment for me.”
Patoranking's hit song 'My Woman, My Everything', reportedly has earned him a legion of fans in Jamaica, with his recognizable dancehall flavour on top of a undeniable Afrobeat rhythm.
“I have always wanted to be the voice of the voiceless. So my music and lyrics must always say something for those who can't speak for whatever reason. With My Woman, My Everything, I strongly believe there is someone... a taxi man, a bus driver and conductor, who needs the words to express himself to the woman in his life, and this is the perfect track. I have to give big respect to Wande Coal who collaborated with me on that track and provided such a great hook. For Jamaicans to know and love my track is just another amazing thing for me. I grew up on reggae and dancehall music. I knew them before I knew about hip hop. I knew of Jamaica before so many other countries in the world. So for my music to be available to Jamaicans is just another moment for me,” he said.
Since the first edition of the festival in 1993, Reggae Sumfest, "the biggest concert festival in Jamaica", has attracted top artists in the genre including Beenie Man, Elephant Man, Damian and Stephen Marley and others. Pop acts 50 Cent, Usher and Rihanna have also performed at the festival.
Patoranking, who took the Nigerian music scene by storm in 2015, with his hit ' Alubarika' has continued to be a force to reckon with, in African music scene. He is a judge on the singing talent show The Voice Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Iyabo Ojo laments increasing hardship in Nigeria

 Social Media influencer and actress Iyabo Ojo has lamented the worsening living condition in the country, warning that if we don't get ...