Tuesday 31 July 2018

'Being listed as one of the 20 most powerful young women in Africa by Forbes humbles me'



Would you say that telling of the African stories has changed?
I think I have done that in all my movies. If you look at “Banana Island Ghost” which is a movie about changing the way people have conversations about ghost you will understand. Also, the other thing we did with the film was to change the way you saw female lead characters. We wanted to make sure that she was funny, and outstanding like what we did in our latest film, “Lara and The Beat.” The film is about two sisters who are at the centre of financial scandal. And the financial scandal isn't about corruption, but about tax, because paying your tax is a civic responsibility. I think those are the things that our films will be addressing; family values, African values. My platform is about celebrating African heritage, celebrating family values; celebrating anything that enhances and inspires people.

Would you say your “Banana Island Ghost' movie hit a goldmine and how far did it travel?
We believe, it hit a goldmine. It travelled well, and it's still travelling. And that's one good thing about film, some films never stopped travelling. We did the premiere in London, and it showed in cinemas there. Right now, the film will be showing in festivals and the beautiful thing about film is that , it's forever. Just the same way you can watch “ Wonder Woman.” The film is over 25 years and there are films that are over 30 years and people are still watching them on daily basis. Even in 20 years, you will still want to go to the cinemas to see “Banana Island Ghost”, you want to see “Lara and The Beat” or “Bukas and Joints' and you will still be entertained. That's the type of content I want to create.

From your experience, would say African film makers are telling the African stories?
I think one beautiful thing about story telling is that it's not manneristic, rather its diverse. Everyone has his or her own way of telling the African stories. Everyone has the right to tell their own African story. I don't really get into everybody telling the African story enough. But I know the African story that I want to tell. I commend everyone out there who's churning out African stories into movies. The fact that we are all telling stories have shown the diversity of Africa. So, there is no one way to tell the African stories. I believe we are all telling the African stories.

How would you describe the years you spent as Regional Director of M-Net Africa?
During my time as M-Net boss, I received many awards and I was also recognized at CNBC Africa’s AABLA West African Business Woman of the Year in 2013. I think that only means I had crowning achievements at M-Net.

Your new movie, 'Lara and The Beat', is blend of music and movie?
Yes, it is. We brought music and weaved it together with drama. It's a musical drama, drama you see from time to time. It's not something we are bringing into the country. We know that people love Nollywood and they also love Afrobeat. Music and film are part of the major exports of the country. We wanted to bring those the two things together and that was why we cast Seyi Shay who's a musician and Vector who is also a rapper and a producer. Bringing these two people together authenticate the characters we scripted. I believe they brought the characters to life. For Seyi Shay, this is her first time to act in a movie, while it's Vector's second movie role. The film hit the cinemas last Friday and we are excited. There is always plans to travel with a film of this nature. We are already having those conversations.

In 2012, you were listed by Forbes as one of the 20 youngest powerful women in Africa. How did you feel when your name was listed among these women?
I think whenever your name was mentioned as one of the top most powerful people, you are humbled. That was very humbling. I was also honoured. I think what that meant was because we were telling the African stories. So, the power wasn't really about me, rather it was about African stories and how powerful African stories work and the influence they have to make sure that those stories were being heard all over the world. For me, I felt it was really a vindication of the fact that Nollywood and Ghallywood are making sense to people. We were working across the continent making sure that people are having conversations with African stories.

You are a very busy woman. How do you combine your work with your marriage?
I come from a family of a woman who has worked all her life. I have amazing role models, my grand mother was a successful trader. She worked and had a family. My mom was a working mom all her life, and she was married too. There is nothing I'm doing that is quite different from what other women have done for centuries. I just happened to be very lucky that I have this opportunity and I have a very supportive husband.

Are you living your dreams?
I believe that I'm extremely lucky and fortunate that I wake up everyday and do what I have to do. I do not take anything for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Iyabo Ojo laments increasing hardship in Nigeria

 Social Media influencer and actress Iyabo Ojo has lamented the worsening living condition in the country, warning that if we don't get ...