Tuesday 12 June 2018

Lai Mohammed, COSON, Uwaifo, others pay tribute to Ras Kimono



The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed yesterday joined other Nigerians to express shock and sadness at the passing of the globally-acclaimed reggae star, Ras Kimono, saying his contribution to that genre of music can never be forgotten.
In a statement issued yesterday, the Minister extended his condolences to the family, friends and fans of the late artiste, and indeed to the entire Nigerian music industry, for losing a foremost proponent of
reggae, a prominent campaigner for a better life for the people and a patriot.
He said Kimono will be remembered for his contribution to the elevation of reggae, his love of the masses, his life of discipline and his service to humanity.
”Kimono helped to blaze the trail for the phenomenal growth of the Nigerian music industry, and he was a worthy mentor to the younger generation of Nigerian musicians. His legacy will surely endure,”
Alhaji Mohammed said. He prayed that God will grant his family the strength to bear their
loss, and grant repose to the soul of the departed.
In his tribute, Highlife maestro, Professor Victor Uwaifo described Ras Kimono's death as a great loss to the Nigerian music industry and the black world in general. “His footprints in the sands of time cannot be forgotten in a hurry. He was the reggae music exponent in Nigeria who until the time of his demise was COSON Board member. May God grant his family the equanimity to bear the loss,” Uwaifo said.
For dancehall singer, African China: “It was a painful exit for me because he was like a father to me right from my humble beginning. The industry will definitely miss him. Yes he did quite a number of songs that we will not forget quickly.”
Alariwo of Africa, said “Ras Kimono was my senior colleague. He was my big brother and he contributed a lot in encouraging me and supporting my career. Ras Kimono is the King of reggae music in Nigeria. He was the first Nigerian to perform in a reggae concert, the first Nigerian to be acknowledged internationally and I have great respect for him. He is a Lion and he has gone to Zion. Whenever Ras Kimono calls for me I don’t run, I jump because I respect him a lot. I was very restless yesterday when I heard. We were actually planning to celebrate his 35-years on stage.”
Singer Ara said the late reggae said “It’s so sad. I had told him I wanted to do a track with him and he was game. But procrastination made it impossible. His soul had to move on. We are all travellers in the vehicle we call body, sooner or later we must leave. Let’s all be mindful that our stay here is limited. We just need to be constantly conscious of our limited stay in our present body. He will definitely be greatly missed, he is a good soul.”
According to the late singer's cousin, Mr. Emmanuel, Ras Kimono embarks on a medical trip to the United States, twice every year.
Explaining how the reggae star died, Mr Emma said “Actually, he wasn’t sick rather he was supposed to have travelled to America on Thursday. I took him to the airport, and on getting there, he started complaining that he was feeling dizzy and I told him to lean on me. So at the end ,he couldn’t travel and we had to go back home and later, I rushed him to the hospital that same Thursday evening and the doctors started administering treatments on him.”
One of his neigbours at Mogodo, Mr Taiwo Kazeem described Ras Kimono as a good man, adding “I happened to be one of his cab drivers whom he usually send on errands and sometimes, I take him out anytime he dosent want to drive. Ras Kimono was a very nice person because he has helped me personally when I had financial challenges. Also, he was not the violent type bua very quiet and gentle person.”
Expressing shock at his death, Majek Fashek said: "Ras Kimono why? Too soon Kimono my brethren. RIP! I'm short of words, our last meeting was for you to meet my manager Uzo in America and death took you away. Forever in my heart. I'm gonna miss you... Jah why"
However, from yesterday morning, flags started flying at half-mast at the Copyright Society of Nigeria,COSON House in Ikeja. Also, a condolence register has been opened at COSON House for the many-many lovers of Kimono to personally express their feelings at the loss of the Rub- a- Dub Master. On the many TV screens at COSON House, there would be continuous replay of the many great performances of Ras Kimono including his unforgettable performance at the last COSON Song Awards.
“I can assure everyone that COSON will ensure that Kimono is buried like the great star that he was and that his memory is never forgotten,” said Tony Okoroji.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Iyabo Ojo laments increasing hardship in Nigeria

 Social Media influencer and actress Iyabo Ojo has lamented the worsening living condition in the country, warning that if we don't get ...